Old 07-08-13, 08:40 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 670 Times in 511 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
What I'm calling BS on, is the notion that X" of standover is the most-important measure you need to find the bike that fits best. And I stand by it -- that measure tells you absolutely nothing about how the bike will fit when riding, which is what actually matters. When else do you straddle the top tube flat-footed, except when you're waiting around during a break on the ride? Having two inches (or whatever) of standover clearance might not even be enough if your legs are bent when you come off the saddle during a panic stop. It's just a liability dodge that has become a no-thought rule for bike fitting.

Anyways, I'm glad that the smaller frame felt better for the OP.
It's also a matter of rider tolerance. With over 40 years experience on bicycles, I have tolerance for a standover height that gives me just a cm or so of clearance when standing in my cycling shoes. I also have a very well-trained habit of not landing flat-footed on the ground after a panic stop. I'm really only worried about contact bone to top tube. Some others could not abide a bike with this sizing. But I agree, the SOH means essentially nothing in determining if a bike will be a good for the rider, or will allow the rider's contact point requirements to be satisfied.

However if it's a worry bead for the customer, the bike shop should respect it while not neglecting the other factors in cycle fitting. It's not an easy out.