Old 07-08-13, 06:56 PM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Yes, in a direct comparison you would need to take precise measurements.

But you need to tell us what the elongation increments have been since you started riding with this chain and this treatment. Otherwise, your assessment of lack of noise and rust appearance is really just subjective. We need those figures to enable us to determine if the chain is worn at all over the period it has been used.

Right now, we have no idea what the wear factor might be (I do have an open mind on this, and it is quite possible that when you put the ruler up against it, the elongation might be 1/64th of an inch, or less).
I put on a new chain on 4/22/13 and rode with regular chain oil for 275 miles.
I switched to paraffin lube on 5/17/13, and rode 801 miles.

I cannot detect any elongation with the tape measure. My chain check tool of course shows everything is OK.

I could tell you when it elongates enough to be replaced, but I don't think that's going to tell you anything. The elongation depends on riding style, environment, road grit type, etc, and there are wide variations even among riders who use the same lube.

My 8-speed chain only costs about $20, so improvements in chain life aren't as important to me as convenience, lack of chain tattoos, and looks.