Old 07-10-13, 02:02 AM
SurlyLaika

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Your seat might be too forward. As your bike isn't a hardcore racing machine, I'm assuming you are not a racer either.
In that case it's ok to have the bar level with the saddle and the seat pushed a bit backwards.

Seat fore aft position is a complicated issue, and affects many things on the rider.
Firstly for many it's a muscle recruitment issue. Too far forward and the quads do all the work. Too far back and the hamstrings get too much work. An ideal position is in the dead center, where a balance is found. Can the center position be found with some simple test? Well, no. It's about experimentation. Some have it dead center of kops, some have it behind kops (knee over pedal spindle)
Muscle recruitment is more important for racers than tourers.

Secondly fore aft is postural, which I feel is your problem.
A proper balance on a bike consists of three contact points, the saddle, the pedals and the handlebar. Now Imagine your seat is right on top of the pedals, that will put a lot of pressure on your hands right? The opposite happens when your saddle is pushed all the way back. There is almost no weight on your hands because your back mucles and balance is keeping you from tippimg over. You can try this by crouching in front of a mirror. When you start crouching your butt starts to move backwards so you can maintain your balance.
So basically if your seat is too forward, you are going to get more pressure on your hands. The same happens when you lower the bar, but is not your problem at the moment.
There is a secondary point to this, which is more relevant to racers. As your power on the bike increases, the more power you put on the pedals unweighs your upper body, so the seat can be pushed forward, if desired. Bike fit is never a static thing and it develops with the rider.

With keeping these two things in mind, start fiddling with your saddle fore aft setting, maybe pushing the saddle back a little bit at first and if that doesn't work do the opposite. If something starts to hurt, go back to where you started. I think that your seat is too forward.
Also, reach should never be adjusted with saddle fore aft, so if you move your seat back 1cm, you should also get a stem which is 1cm shorter
You're right. I used the Jim Langley guide and have a perfect Knee Over Pedal Spindle (axle) position, but I don't think that's working for me. So I can try to move the seat back a bit to see if that relieves pressure on my hands, but not forward? Is that right?

Can you explain that crouching experiment a little clearer? Is the mirror just so I can see myself? By crouching, do you mean a resting Asian on a subway position with just the knees bent and the back kept straight up? Or should my hands be touching the ground as well?

Last edited by SurlyLaika; 07-10-13 at 02:06 AM.