AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sarals
From a pilot standpoint, it was readily evident that the accident was pilot error all the way.
It reminded me of when my son and I were taking pilot lessons. I was too short on an approach, and was attempting to correct by pulling back on the yoke. I raised a puff of dirt as I just made it to the tarmac after being prompted to point the nose -down- and get some more airspeed. Got a "everyone okay?" query from the tower. My son never let me forget it, not that I ever would. One has to keep the speed up and, from the reports I've read, apparently a few knots make a huge difference even for that jetliner. My son was ~12 at the time, and the instructor jury-rigged wood risers on the pedals. The deal was that he had to approach it as if he could actually get his license, doing all the same bookwork I was doing. Folks would gather around during our sessions at the FBO as he answered (always correctly) questions on such things as lift and thrust. He was once asked in class what was scary, in a generic sense, and he replied "practicing full power stalls". I can confirm that it was sure scary from the back seat.

Good memories, brought up by an awful incident.