Old 07-10-13, 09:01 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by dynodonn
I watched one of your videos where you forced your way past a motorist pulling into traffic almost a block ahead of you because it was YOUR lane, and at times, I tend to think you are your own worst enemy.
I had very little problems with cars cutting in front of me until I started using designated bike lanes which, by the way, are a very new traffic feature in New Orleans. Motorists and cyclists are both at the bottom of a learning curve. Seems some folks from all over are not real clear on the rules based on what I have read in this thread.

Part of the problem was the fact that I caught a GREEN light under the bridge where the video began. Had the light been red I could have crossed the intersection alone and had the entire roadway to myself for a mile. Traffic may have never caught up with me. I absolutely HATE cars overtaking me and do everything I can to keep that from happening when possible. Bike lanes seem to be making me complacent and inattentive, out of position and lazy - a real sitting duck for right-hooks. I find myself waiting for more lights to turn green because I have a designated place to stand still while waiting for the light to change. I fear that my experiment with traffic law compliance is nearing the end for me.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 07-10-13 at 09:05 PM.