Old 07-10-13, 09:48 PM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
That's a good point. I am out there in traffic many hours every week, week after week. Things are bound to go wrong sooner or later - like every day. And in my mind i am ALWAYS at fault soon as I toss my leg over a bike and venture out to play with motor vehicles. Everything from the first turn of the pedals is my fault.

That being said, I did not see the turn signal on the second vehicle. The sun was coming in right over the top of the truck and EVERYTHING was flashing up ahead due to my flashing front light. The vid does not do that justice. What I thought was making me safer [500 watts of white light flashing] was actually fooling me. Even if my eyes saw those pathetic flashers my brain translated the flashing into "just my headlight".

And all this "passing on the right" jazz. The bike lane is MY lane. That vehicle made a left hand turn from the right hand lane across my lane. That is perfectly legal when all is clear - the bike lane becomes dashed near the intersection for that purpose but it is still THERE dashed or not which means, by law, that is MY lane if I am there. Giving a signal does not make it legal to turn.

Am I interpreting bike lane ethics incorrectly? Because if I am, bike lanes are just a hazard. Without that lane I would have been keeping up in the flow of traffic and easily passed the truck on the left at their turn.

Tell me more. You are the safety experts.
I hate to agree with JoeyBike on anything since I don't like him but he's right on this one.