View Single Post
Old 07-11-13, 07:31 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Something can be subjective, yet unbiased.

My point was that at the start of this experiment, I had no bias. I was neutral as to which was better. I was not prejudiced towards paraffin or oil. If it had been more trouble and effort, I would have reported that in an unbiased way. If I were a paraffin manufacturer, I'd be biased, and my subjective evaluations could not be trusted.

Note that I am no longer unbiased. I like paraffin much better than oil now.
Don't get me wrong, I am not denigrating what you are doing in any way, shape or form.

As I said after you measured the chain, my interest was piqued. Genuinely.

I, too, have been in the camp which says it seems all too hard, and the results all too short and doubtful. Heck, I have used motor oil for years and even WD40, all with what I consider to be acceptable results, but in the face of vehement arguments against both.

But I like to think I have an open mind on many things, and if you can prove to me through this thread that paraffin works in terms of reduced wear, longevity and cleanliness, I will give it a try even though my conditions may well be a little more arduous than yours.

One of the things I really like is that you are servicing the thread, rather than just saying your were going to do, then let it trail off after first week.