View Single Post
Old 07-14-13, 07:59 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by jjames1452
I have a Schwinn Premis I am selling for $139, minus wheels, freewheel, and pedals.
It is soooo much better than the Varsity at $200.
I have purchased many Le Tours - including a 12.2, for $100, and put another $100 getting them in perfect riding shape.
Those would make a much better bike. Although I would, and do, stick to the 4130 Cro-mo models.

I will admit that a Varsity can probably be ridden through a brick wall w/o much damage to the frame. (I recently sold a Varsity frame for $15 that weighed more than a complete bike. I knew if I dropped the thing on my foot, there would be no dings in the frame and I would be in a cast. Heck, I may have been able to get more $$ if I took the frame to the metal recyclers.) I would personally choose another way to spend a $200 budget. (For example, my neighbor picked up a nice Continental at a thrift store for $20.) There are loads of better deals for the patient.
A $200. Varsity should be perfect and the right size for you. And then, not as an only bicycle. If you find you enjoy cycling the upgrade path is challenging on it and the "bones" are heavy. Chicago Schwinn's do carry a nostalgia premium though.
I would find out what the local shops are charging for a service, lubing cables, minor wheel truing, cleaning of the chain... Around here in SoCal it runs between $75 to $100. I would build that discount into your budget.

A side note on a Schwinn Premis, I saw one yesterday at a garage sale, looked serviced. Younger woman (way too short for the bike) wanted $300 Stated she had $400 in it and was selling as it was too big. If it did not sell she was going to ebay it. It was a 22" or so frame.
I do not think on ebay is will achieve that. You might look out for it.