Old 07-14-13, 11:04 AM
Altbark

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale T1, 1998 Specialized FSR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
They still make sense. The problem with compact doubles is the shift pattern. Using this gear calculator you can easily compare gearing combinations, like this one.

There are more intermediate gears with the triple without the huge jumps between the rings. You basically have 2 separate drivetrains with the doubles and getting from one drivetrain to the other isn't a smooth transition.

I find it funny that the main driver behind the 10 and 11 speed cassette is to have more gear choices on the cassette, yet the drive is to get rid of the front gears which reduces the gear choices.
We've discussed this before on the touring forum. Most folks riding a loaded touring bike aren't shifting with the next logical gear ratio in mind. They merely shift to the next smaller ring when they start cross chaining and accept that they will be spinning a bit as the bike slows down. The OP is talking about a touring setup.

In my view, being able to get a range of 95-17 gear inches using a double crankset married to a 9 or 10 speed cassette would be the best of all worlds. I'd ride in the big ring for almost all my riding going into the granny ring only when necessary. My touring bike is setup with a 46/36/24 crankset married to a 13-36 9 speed cassette. I only get into the 24 ring when the choice is pedal or get off and push. A 2X10 MTB setup would be ideal FOR ME and is probably the future for touring bike setups. Al