View Single Post
Old 07-14-13, 09:50 PM
Bensmom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, you inspired me to register and post!

I am more used to riding horses, than my bike, but I'm learning a lot and loving it! My username is in reference to my retired competition horse, Ben, and it is what i use on other forums, so I figured I'd keep it here too. I am firmly in Athena land as well, and while my main motivation isn't to lose weight, if that happens, then great!

I have a hybrid I got last year, rode some and then quit for a while, and picked it up again several weeks ago when I realized I really needed to be in better shape and stronger and the young horse I'm bringing along wasn't fit enough to help me get fit! I've been riding every morning before work, and yesterday a young friend and I headed out to a local bike trail, and did the whole length of it -- I was on top of the world at having done 7*Whole*Miles! I know that for "real" cyclists, that isn't even a warmup -- but for us, it was HUGE.

I started a thread on the main horse forum I post on yesterday about my riding instructor telling me that I didn't have any business teaching my young horse to jump until I lost a "substantial amount of weight." This was an excuse on her part for not wanting me to start even over 18" poles, but it frustrated me that it is so acceptable to comment on people's weight, rather than address what the real issue is.

The reactions have been interesting and it really highlighted how accepting and encouraging folks are here. I hope I'm going to stick with my bike and enjoy riding it along with bringing along my young horse.

A benefit to the bike is that it never demands a cookie when we are done with a ride!

Nice to meet all of you!

Libby