View Single Post
Old 07-15-13, 04:22 AM
jjames1452 

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
A side note on a Schwinn Premis, I saw one yesterday at a garage sale, looked serviced. Younger woman (way too short for the bike) wanted $300 Stated she had $400 in it and was selling as it was too big. If it did not sell she was going to ebay it. It was a 22" or so frame.
I do not think on ebay is will achieve that. You might look out for it.

Thanks for the note on the Premis. And believe me when I say I revere vintage Schwinns. I used to sell them (when they were not considered vintage - but new), so they have a soft spot in my heart. I did not mean any disrespect to the Varsity. That said...
There is a little difference in markets from So Cal to Dayton Ohio. I honestly wouldn't pay more than $75 for a complete Varsity, or $250 for a pristine Premis.
At a garage sale, I would expect to pay somewhere close to half of the above. I came within a whisper of picking up a complete and almost unridden Univega for $58 last night.

(BTW - I am not really a bike flipper. I like to ride vintage bikes for a while, then send them on their way for no great loss, or no great profit. The bikes I like I keep.)