Bikes: Cervelo S5, Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hanging with the group

The question is
"Do you think I'll be able to hang with the group?"

FYI, I'm new to cycling and I may sound completely like an idiot.

I've been wanting to do a group ride, so I found a casual group ride, where the group was a loose pack of about 6~8 people keeping a line about a wheel length apart, cruising at about 18~20 mph going about 20~25 miles.
Personally, the ride felt more like a easy cruising and I have to do another 20 miles alone after the group ride to feel that I've worked out.
With that, I've been wanting to find a group ride that is more challenging, however, anything beyond the group I mentioned above are 35+ miles at 22+mph.
I'm not sure if I can hang with the group if I signed up for the group ride.
Yes, I understand the best thing is to try it out but the group is a bit away from me and I don't want to drive out there only to get dropped and lost in strange places. So hoping to cover my rear before I go out there; and get dropped and lost in strange places.

Some of the considerations are,
- I, for the most part, ride solo 3~4 times a week (30 miles @ 17~18 mph)
- During the ride I don't stop for rest but there is a mile or so of stretch (each way) where I have no choice but to slow down due to traffic where I consider it to be my rest
- Though there really isn't any climbs to mention of, the trail I ride is rather windy. Depending on the weather but it's usually about 10 mph, give or take 3 mph.
- Windy about half of the ride since its pretty directional but then again, its probably pushing me the other half of the ride.
- I'm completely unaware of the "more challenging group"'s route on a bike, however, I would assume it would be less windy than the lakefront trail that I ride. I don't think there was any significant climb on the route but I'm sure there is some

With that, do you think I'll be able to hang with the group going 35+ miles @ 22+mph?
Also, please advise where I'd need to pull myself up to if I did want to ride with those groups?