View Single Post
Old 07-15-13, 11:34 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I wrestle with this parking thing regularly. I chair my neighborhood association. Our little mixed commercial residential 'hood (the original downtown) has been taken over by breweries and restaurants, which is far better than we had it a dozen years ago when the anarchists were threatening to burn everything to the ground to prevent any "gentrification". However, we have a zoning overlay that allows all these entertainment establishments to come in without providing any parking. Thus, folks drive into the residential portion and park in front of other people's houses. Then they spend the night getting drunk. Along about 0200 they return to their cars with a lot of yelling and door slamming. The result is that this little car-hater (me) is beating the bushes looking for a way to help the poor car-addicted darlings find parking places that don't wake up half my neighborhood every night.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, my neighborhood is doing a pretty good job of moving beyond the car. Less than half our residents use cars as their primary means of transportation. (Roughly 45% car, 20% bus, 20% bike, 15% walk). Maybe our motto should be "We go car free so you don't have to." If we had the more typical rate of car usage, there wouldn't be any parking spaces left on the residential streets for the patrons to park in.

Meanwhile, the city traffic planner makes noises about how if parking becomes limited then more people will use some other means of transportation. This sounds nice, but totally ignores the fact that most of the drunks come from places that aren't served by our buses and would be rather dangerous to cycle to when the drunks are on the road in large numbers, like when these folks are heading home from the bars.