Thread: Dnr?
View Single Post
Old 07-19-13, 12:00 PM
badrad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Sometimes you don't know what's better for you at the time...

When I had my heart attack, I simply dropped dead. As luck would have it, there was a cardiac surgeon in the room who kept me going with CPR until I got zapped.
When I woke up 2 days later I was in ICU, but I thought I was paralyzed. Unbeknownst to me at the time, they had put me in a cryogenic bath after the stents that basically shut down all my limbs and extremities, so the recovering heart only had to deal with the critical organs and functions. In essence, I was put into a paralyzed state.

In the meantime, I had no control of any part of my body other than head movement - and I thought I am paralyzed for life. At that time (maybe in a doped up state) I swear that I had made a pact with the attendant/nurse to help me disconnect any life support as I did not want to go through life like that. Of course all these are in dream snippets, but as I started feeling parts of my body being responsive, I got frantic trying to get the attendant's attention to cancel the suicide contract. I could have sworn he was upset at me that I reneged on our deal, and I asked my daughter to stay with me because I think that crazy attendant was out to kill me!

Anyways, at the time something like this happens, what the mind thinks and what reality is may cause wrong decisions to be made. But to be honest, even in my mind at the time, I made my decision to end my life if I was paralyzed for life. Go figure...