View Single Post
Old 07-20-13, 12:33 PM
Flandry

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Tricross Singlecross w/ Alfine hub, 198x Nishiki Olympic (2x: first nicked, second left at move :(...), Iron Horse beater (also gone), RIP 1998 Rockhopper (cracked frame; lost fight with Ford Focus)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I'm glad it worked out, and you're back on the road.

As for the square vs. diamond, it's not anything you could mistake. Firstof all both are square, it's just a 45° difference in the orientation of the hole to the crank arm. The so-called diamond pattern is more common, with the corner pointing down the arm, and on the so-called square hole the face of the square points to the arm.

You cannot make a mistake here since the wrong orientation would have one crank 45° away from opposite the other. BTW- you never have to remove the crank to check, since the spindles are always the same at both ends. Just look at the spindle and across to the mounted arm to see how the square is oriented.
Thanks. I know it's just an orientation thing, but i'm not quite ready to adapt such a novel cadence as putting the wrong one on the left would require...

I am having trouble seeing how I would tell the difference without removing the crank. How can I tell what the orientation of the spindle is without removing at least one crank?