Old 07-20-13, 07:55 PM
jhboyy7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldpeddaller
PINK PANTECHNICON - Specialized Hard Rock

I finally finished the drop-bar conversion of the Specialized Hard rock MTB given to me by my nephew’s friend, who has emigrated to Sweden. My plan was to build it as a long-distance ‘rough stuff’ camping tourer. I put PINK bar tape on because – well, I’ve got a load of it and couldn’t imagine what it would look like on a bike!

The Suntour Command shifters flawlessly change the Shimano Deore LX/ 200 derailleurs, the fenders don’t rattle or rub, no overlap with the baggage – even the compass on the bell works. Big ‘fly in the ointment’ though – the first fifteen miles or so were delightful, gliding along on the Schwalbe City Jet slick tyres on quite rough back lanes, Biopace rings not really noticeable as being different.

Then the pain started. I had the sense to turn round at that point and head for home – lower back, front of my shoulders, wrists, neck, outer thighs just got worse and worse and the last three to five miles were a real ordeal. I had to admit that it’s just not a good fit for me. As an MTB it was fine for me to ride to the shops and back, but this frame’s now just too tall and stretched out in it’s current form to do me any favours.

Shame, because I think it looks very different and the components finally work really well together. Time for a rethink. I’ve still got a Saracen Tange MTB frame that was the original intended recipient of most of these parts. I'll need to remove the remnants of a broken steel seat post from the bottom of the seat tube and paint it. The Saracen frame’s a lot smaller and should fit me better.

OK so this is not as exotic or successful as some of the beautiful conversions previously posted, but for a first attempt at least it all worked mechanically, so far it's cost me next to nothing and it's a 'work in progress'.
i love what you did with the shifters