Old 07-21-13, 12:58 PM
rocdoc

Bikes: Novara Strada 5D (road/touring); Fuji Cross 3.0 (trail/cyclocross); SE Stout 29er (mountain, single speed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does toe overlap necessarily mean the wrong size?

Hi everyone,
I just purchased a very nice bike (for my skills and budget) and I am very excited about it. I got a Fuji Cross 3.0 at Performance with a nice discount, and couldn't be happier with the deal. I tried a couple of options in the store. I'm 5'10 with rather long legs, I think I'm about 33 inseam. However, trying the bikes in the store, it seemed that the 56cm frame left me no clearance. I went for the 54, which gives me a bit of room. I'm still dialing in all the adjustments etc.. I like my saddle relatively high to give me good pedal extension, so right now I am on tip-toes to the ground sitting on it. But, on the first tight turn in my parking lot, I did a solid toe scrape on the front tire. So, do I just make sure I keep the outside foot down on tight turns, or does this indicate a terrible fit overall? Remember, this is a recreational ride, I went 'cross instead of road because the trails I am on are variable, some get quite rough. So, I am not at the level or budget to custom fit a frame or freely choose between manufacturers to get that anatomically ideal fit. But if this is a terrible, terrible fit, I would still have to return it.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.