Old 07-21-13, 01:48 PM
Reeses

Bikes: Scott CR1 Pro, Eimei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bianchi10
If you are going to get the Easton bars why not get the Easton ec90 stem to match? Its 110g. The c260 stem is great (I have it on my bike) but its a difference of 6g, but more important TO ME is having a bar and stem should match. Otherwise that would be like wearing Nike shoes with Adidas socks, which is a huge no no.

. Also, if you are gonna do the planet x calipers I would recommend you pay the extra for the cnc. The extra $40 seems questionable but when you/if you get to a point where you trying to tip the scale just under your goal, you're gonna wish you had just pony'd up the dough.
I'm making decisions based on (aside from weight) what deals I can get. Cheaper price = better, right? I came across good deals on the c260 and ec90 bars that's why I decided on those. What Ritchey bars are you using with the c260 stem?

Also are there any performance differences between the Forged and CNC?

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Regarding the seat post, you should be prepared for a bit more shock coming through the larger diameter post. Maybe the carbon will offset it. The 27.2 post with shim is a bit more flexible, construction material being equal. I had always ridden 27.2 mm posts for nearly 30 years before building up an Everti Falcon Ti frame with a 31.6 mm post. Same carbon post model as on my other bikes, but the larger diameter was quite noticeable as a very rigid feeling under my butt. Three years later I am fine with it. Think about it before you choose since you already own the shim.
I've ridden my friend's 31.6 aluminum seatpost and haven't noticed a drastic difference between my 27.2. He has an aluminum frame as well. I want a 31.6 mainly because the shim I have is a whopping 50 grams haha.

Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
If you should go that route, be sure what you buy is post-2005 when some significant design improvements were made.
Looks like it'd be $200+ for the caliper set at the moment, looks like you got a sweet deal. And the $100 ones going on bid right now are '05, any reason I shouldn't go for those?

Originally Posted by nastystang
Another comment on the Planet X brakes is they work great. I had 5700 brakes that were really good and the CNC brakes are just as good if not better. They seem to be on sale a lot so that usually works out in you favor. I used the metal mounting nuts from my 105's because they came with plastic for what ever reason. I also needed a little longer brake cable housing when I did the swap. Solid performers though.
Thanks for the review. I read that some people have experienced poor stopping power from the Planet X calipers - worse stopping power than 105 calipers. Here: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1130130