View Single Post
Old 07-21-13, 08:02 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I usually cook over real charcoal-- not briquettes-- lump charcoal, either oak or (preferably) mesquite. That said, you can still cook some really nice food on a gas grill.

I favor hand-trimmed steaks; go to your Costco butcher or whatever butcher and ask for a cryopak of whatever cut you want: NY strip steak, filet (a "PiSMO," which means a filet that is Peeled, Side Meat On), or ribeye roast, or whatever. Steak it yourself, it's easy, and you save some money.

Put the cut steaks on a plate or in a dish of some kind. Let them sit outside the refrigerator for at least two hours. Season with generous amounts of salt and pepper, and grill. Adding some smoke will improve the flavor, and you'll get better with some practice.

If you like more flavor, this is good, though I cut the salt in her recipe waaaaaaaaaaay back. Notice the one thing I'm telling you and Anne Burrell is telling you: let the steak come close to room temperature before you throw it on the grill. It cooks so much better this way.

For other dishes, I can suggest a dry rub recipe for baby-back ribs, or a recipe for Korean-style short ribs ("Kalbi").

We grill a lot of food at home.