Old 07-22-13, 09:20 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by sstang13
I never took the freehub or the cog off at all. I did degrease the whole thing though. It was really cleaned out. I could really lube it up a lot more as I most likely didn't put enough on, but when I pedal slowly and even sometimes just normally it like the rear derailleur jumps all over the place and the whole thing just becomes a mess. If I shift just one cog up, the chain becomes tight again and works pretty normally. It's only that one combo, every other combo works, even the big/big cross chaining works. It's very confusing, I could possibly take a video if you want me to.
A video might help, but you're own eyes confirming whether the top loop sags when the wheel spins forward (coasting). This is pretty definitive, but note that I'm not taking about the cassette, but oiling the freehub ratchet or the seals between the freehub and hub.

BTW- some hubs and freehuns are very easily user serviced, others less so. Try searching for lubricate (brand/model) freehub and see what's involved for your specific model.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.