Old 07-23-13, 05:17 AM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sstang13
I seem to prefer learning things the hard way....This is why I do this though, the best way to learn is hands on! Thanks anyway guys, I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow...wow do I feel dumb.
It appears you have succeeded in spades, but in doing things the hard way rather than learning. Yes, learning hands-on is best but trial and error is not a good idea with something mechanical, as you can damage parts or cause an unsafe condition without knowing you have done so. When it comes to something that you depend on when you're traveling at speed on roads and paths, it's important things be done correctly. Further it's just not true that you "learn more" by making mistakes, as there are multiple ways to do something incorrectly.

I directed you earlier to the Bike Centre in Guelph - did you not take advantage of their services? If you did and ended up with this result I am sorry, because you received poor assistance.

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 07-24-13 at 07:55 AM.