View Single Post
Old 07-23-13, 06:57 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I've been acquiring a bunch of stereo gear over the past year or so...

This past weekend I scored a set of pre-1968 Rectilinear III speakers. They're in outrageously good shape- and I can't believe how nice these sound.

I decided to pair the Rectilinears with my Advent Loudspeakers. They compliment each other perfectly. I was very underwhelmed with the Advents. I got them from an estate sale- they'd been refoamed- poorly, so I had them redone and they still underwhelmed me. While I was rearranging speakers to get stuff set up- I set the Advents on the floor- WOW. All the difference in the world. I had them stacked at about chest height- they sounded bright, beamy and anemic. On the floor- they pound. I've been listening to Physical Graffiti non-stop with this set up. I'm at a toss up between the Sansui and the smaller Pioneer SX838. Probably going to put the big Pioneer on CL.

Good idea with the floor placement on the Advents!

I ran them stacked for years and everyone was very impressed with the sound quality.

Except for my wife.

Too much floor real estate being used by "those darn speakers" in her living room.

The neighbors certainly knew when I had picked up a couple of new albums at the record store......