Old 07-23-13, 06:20 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeman715
Spoke prep will not make it harder if you make any mistakes . Spoke prep will out last any grease you might use .
Using anti-seize alloy nipples still turn well at least 12-13 years later riding 4-5 days a week which is long as I've gone without bending a rim and replacing it at which point I use an acid brush with half the bristle length chopped off to apply anti-seize to spoke threads and nipple sockets as I move spokes over one at a time.

Brass nipples still turn well at least 16 years later, although I usually only ride that wheel set when there's snow on the ground which hasn't happened since I left Boulder, CO 7 years ago.

Anti-seize is grease plus an additive (often zinc) with a more negative anodic index than the metals you're mating so it'll be what oxidizes.

FWIW, spokeprep was developed by Wheelsmith to increase profits.

Their wheel-building machines couldn't get their wheels to high enough tension to keep the nipples from turning as they unloaded reaching the bottom of the wheel with a heavy rider on top. Warranty returns were expensive. Hand-labor to finish each wheel would have been expensive too. Spokeprep prevented the problem without appreciably increasing labor costs.

If you don't plan on buying some robots and mass producing wheels you don't need it.

There are light rims with low tension limits that see a tension drop when tubeless tires are used where spokeprep might be useful although with rims under 400 grams having durability issues and performance gains up the steepest hills at best proportional to the total weight change (100g nets a 70kg (140 pound rider, bike at the 15 pound UCI minimum) rider/bike combo 0.1%) beefier rims are the right choice for those of us who are not racing in the mountains with body morphology otherwise conducive to winning in that environment.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 07-23-13 at 09:01 PM.