Old 07-24-13, 05:21 PM
paulypro

Bikes: Ibis Mojo SL; De Rosa Giro de Italia; We the People Trust; All City Big Block; Genesis Croix de Fer; Ritchey Road Logic 2.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by weshigh
Wow, you are wrong.
I saw the comments saying it's the officer that's not informed, and I realize my opinion is unpopular here and on the rest of the 'web. I still think the OP cyclist is abusing the existence of a sharrow, which should mean that it's a shared lane, not a lane available for cyclists to take over. I'm all for blocking a car from passing me in an unsafe situation, but I think this cyclist was running down the middle of the lane without even considering tucking to the right a few feet to allow some cars to pass. As I said, there's plenty of space in the 'getting doored' area (just to the left of the oil slicks and dust strip) where there's no parked cars for the majority of the vid. As a cyclist you should be able to smoothly work the road to use this space and come into the lane when needed which is how I'd interpret the intent of a sharrow, again to increase awareness to motorists that cyclists may be coming into the road. The lane looked plenty wide to let cars pass if the rider had been keeping right.