Old 07-25-13, 09:33 AM
vins0010

Bikes: '86 Trek Elance 400; '83 Trek 520; 90s Specialized Crossroads, '84 Trek 610 (wife's), 90s Trek Multitrack (wife's), Cargo Trailers, Burley for the Kids, WeeHoo Trailer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading through this thread makes me realize that I hadn't really thought about it, you just didn't go to bike stores for touring bikes. The idea of saying "I want a touring bike" then test riding a few at a given local LBS is just something I wouldn't consider. In my area, we have quite a few LBSs that are oriented more towards commuters and recreational bikes than just racers, and a few will have a Surly LHT or maybe REI and their line... or salsas and what not. However, when I decided to put my touring bike together, I didn't even think about the LBS...just putzed around here, learned about gearing, differences b/w panniers and trailers, thought about my tent...then considered bikes direct vs. picking up an 80s Trek 520 (picked the latter) and modified accordingly. It was part of the process, but, to think, being able to just go to an LBS and getting a good touring bike without having to learn about any of that stuff...well, that just sounds crazy foreign.