Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
My sentiments, as well.

I would add that throwing down a bunch of paint on the road that doesn't really say what it's meant to say, is counterproductive, in my opinion. I'm also not speaking as to the legal issues that may or may not be involved, but the safety aspect. Setting up a connect the dots scheme that bikes are supposed to follow, if that is indeed the intent, is a bit riduculous.
We have one road in town (10th street) and for about 8 blocks, it has a marking like this...a left hand lane with a bicycle painted on it. It's the only road I can think of with a bike painted on the LEFT side and I find it very confusing. Normally I would ride on the right side of the right lane on that road, and here I'm still a little confused about what this is supposed to indicate and where I'm supposed to be...cars do use that lane. Later the two lanes narrow to one lane and there are a few spots with a bike painted on it...it's not a bike lane and I'm not clear on what it indicates. Share the road? They always have to share the road.

Making matters worse, where it's two lanes, there are parts where it becomes a turn lane and some of the markings change. I think it's very poorly thought out and it must be confusing to drivers as well as to cyclists. I know I've had a few problems on that road and I don't think the markings helped the situation; now I just avoid 10th all together.