ericcc65
Eric C.

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Trek XM700+, Novara Zealo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
So, if someone has a different opinion than you, and expresses it, they are a troll? This is a forum where people express their opinions in a respectful manner, without name calling, which you are apparently incapable of.
Not incapable of, just didn't do in this instance. Which is an important distinction, because I very rarely do that. I'm very passionate about this as I feel, as I'm sure do you, that we take our lives into our hands when we commute. So when I see someone advocating something that is so contrary to the established rules of safety, studied by experts (have you read Forester's Vehicular Cycling?), it makes me fear for the safety of those reading the post who haven't studied the issue in depth.

Having an opinion on where to travel on an unoccupied lane is fine, and I may disagree but can respect that. I was specifically referring to the inability to believe that a sharrow indicates where a bike should travel, despite the agencies who are putting them on the street publicly indicating that is the case. You may not agree with their decision, but that is just proven fact that that's what a sharrow indicates and no longer in the realm of opinion. You can make a case that that isn't publicized enough for people to know, but it's clear that's the intent.

I would say that I usually travel to the right if there is enough room to share the lane, or even if the road is so narrow that I still "take the lane" by traveling on the right. When there is just enough room that cars try to squeeze in, or if there are parked cars ahead then I feel it is safest to take the lane. Provided I'm traveling near their speed, or it's a short distance. Otherwise I look for an alternate route. I think it should be re-iterated that this is the overwhelming advice of bike safety experts.