Old 07-26-13, 12:55 PM
weshigh

Bikes: All-City Space Horse!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spivonious
Right, sharrows exist to say "bike here when cars are parked on the side", and to alert cars that bikes may be that far out.

In the OP's video, there's a large stretch where there are no parked cars. The courteous thing to do is to move over. If the lane can support two lines of cars (one parked, one moving) then it can also support a bike and a car.
I'm the rider in the video. The stretch that is wide enough to share, when there was actually traffic only lasted for about 10sec.(1min5sec to 1min15sec) Would have been shorter but the Deputy started talking to me so I slowed down. During those 10 sec I started gaining on the vehicle in the left lane and no other vehicles were occupying the lane to my left. I was going with the speed of traffic. It silly to pull to the right for 10 secs when I'm going close to the normal speed of traffic and there is traffic stopped ahead at a red light. which I caught up to almost immediately. That is just inviting people to almost pass you, but then have no room to enter the lane again, where I needed to be to prepare for my left turn.

Earlier in the video that is no traffic around in my lane or the left lane. It takes many seconds for a car to even pull into the left lane after I've already stopped at the light.