Old 07-26-13, 02:35 PM
CenturionIM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sharrow or not, op had the right to take the lane when there is no space for cars to pass for safety reasons the law has recognized to be valid.
paulypro, I just hope you realize most cyclists are not out here to exert their "power"; they are not trying to be like "we take the lane because we can, because the law says we can, to hell with everyone else". We just want to ride bikes on the street safely, going from point A to point B. I fully agree with getting out of the way for other, faster vehicles and send them on their way when safe.

The sad fact is many motorists don't extend the same courtesy. They are the more powerful party on the road, because in any accident cyclists can get seriously injured while the car only get a dent. They do not realize the danger passing too close can cause to cyclist. Forcing cyclist to hug the curb also have well known hazards like door-zone and road debris. You may be okay with all this, I am not and nor do I think it is right. If they can do more harm, then they need to take on more responsibility to be careful. Because they do not, we cyclists must take extra measures to ensure our safety.

The police is suppose to be out there protecting the more vulnerable group of citizens. In this case he is doing the opposite, and for the wrong reason, no less.