View Single Post
Old 07-26-13, 05:22 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Practicing stopping technique/skill in a parking lot does not guarantee that a cyclist will have the reflexes or presence of mind to apply the brakes in time with the same skill set when surprised in an actual emergency situation.

I would think this especially true if the cyclist has a mindset to maintain high speed and not slow down in traffic for potential problem areas such as intersections, but rather depend on his skillful technique to get himself out of any jam.
I agree. Besides, no matter what speed a cyclist is traveling, there's still a window where they are committed to being directly in the path of a potentially crossing vehicle. Doing this at a lower speed will aid the cyclist in maneuvering out of danger, or at least not crashing with as high of an impact.

Regarding the overtaking situation that the OP started off with in this thread, I'd like to add my experience.

Part of my work commute is on a 45 MPH road where I feel it necessary to take the lane. Motorists often drive 55. I ride this section as fast as I comfortably can. Due to a bridge with incline/decline, and variable winds, my speed can vary anywhere from barely over 10 mph, to nearly 30.

After 8 years of doing this, I have determined that speed matters little for safety in this situation. Drivers all change lanes or slow behind me every time, no matter my speed.

I will admit a higher speed is a little more comfortable, but only because I try to hold others up as little as possible, not because I'm afraid they might run me over if I'm not traveling close to their speed.

I suppose if you're encouraging unsafe overtaking by riding too far right under conditions where you really shouldn't be, then your concern of being passed by cars may hold some validity.