patrockT

Bikes: '81 Schwinn Le Tour, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KitN
Hi,

I just purchased a Citizen folding bike. I ordered the Tokyo version in silver. I commute all around NYC with it even in the snow, ice, freezing rain and slush. I also purchased a bike bag for it so that I can fold it up and carry it in the bag or throw it into a shopping cart.

My Tokyo is 29 lbs with the front and back fenders and the rear rack. I don't mind the weight. Small wheels = smaller folded footprint which was very important to me. I didn't want a folder with anything bigger than 16" wheels so getting the higher priced models (with larger wheels) wasn't an option for me. (I would have gladly gotten the highest priced model, the Gotham which is alloy and lighter, if they sold it with a 16" wheel option).

If 20" wheels are fine for you, I would suggest you go for the Gotham model. It has a higher class of Shimano deraileur/gears, an alloy frame and is lighter. If you plan on biking in any wet conditions, I would suggest you add the fender/rack kit for $17. I believe it adds about 2-3 lbs of weight to the overall weight of the bike but since the Gotham is only 23 lbs to begin with, it's not a problem.

My Citizen rides quite well. It folds easily and is simple to put in it's carry bag. I did have a problem with the seat stem's build quality. Pieces of aluminum was flaking off and the saddle/seat had a few scuff and a tiny hole in it on the side. I contacted Citizen by email and they promptly replied, replacing the offending seat post and saddle using FedEx. The replacement parts arrived within 3 days of emailing them. They also included a FREE seat bag for my trouble, I guess. I have to admit that Citizen has EXCELLENT customer service. They are prompt, friendly, informative and very nice people.

The first thing I would suggest you do when you get your Citizen is to take it to your LBS to adjust the gearing and brakes or if you are knowledgeable about this sort of thing, you can do it yourself. It's not that there is a problem with any Citizen bikes, it's just that ANY bike that comes directly from the manufacturer, straight out of a box, should be tuned. Normally, if you buy a bike from your LBS they assemble it and tune it for you but since Citizen is a maufacturer that ships the bike directly to you it will need to be tuned.

The bike comes fully assembled. All you have to do is unfold, attatch one of the peddles, adjust the seat and handlebar height and tune the gears/brakes. That's it!

All of Citizen bikes come with 6 gears which is incredibly handy. (My last folder, which was stolen the day after Xmas, only had one speed.) The gearing is of decent range but does focus a little bit more on lower gears which helps greatly if you have any hills to hit.

The build quality of my bike is very good. It's a solid commuting bike. I'm very pleased so far with it's construction. It's one of the best "bangs" for your buck that you can get for a solid folder.

You would be wise to check out purchasing a Citizen if you are looking to maximize your dollars while getting a solid folding bike with very nice features (like fenders, rack, Shimano gearing, and 6 speeds).

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I hope you enjoy your Citizen bike.

Hey KitN,

Are you still riding your Tokyo? They are really great looking bikes. How is it after some time of riding them?
Thanks for the review and info!