View Single Post
Old 07-28-13, 10:50 AM
dragonflytype

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which bike?

I'm not sure this is the right forum, but it should be close enough.
I'm about to move to Syracuse for school, and plan on biking year round. Mostly very short trips- to school, grocery store, etc. I don't anticipate more than 5 miles in a go. Because of all of the snow and salt, I'm not sure what to get. I'm going to check out a Trek SoHo Deluxe that is super appealing because of the internal gear hub that will be protected, but the bike is more expensive, and actually above what I want to pay. But if it means not having to replace parts/the whole bike (I read a thing where someone said they got a new bike every year because of the water and salt, eesh) then it might be worth it.
I'm also checking out a Raleigh Detour 3.5. I rode the 2.5 the other day and kind of loved it. For the short rides I'm doing, the upright-ness is pretty great, and shifting and braking were smooth. But will the exposed gears choke and die? Will caliper brakes be fine in wet weather?
Any advice between these two? Or other bikes that I should hold out for? I'm on a budget, so looking for used.