Old 07-29-13, 08:54 AM
Frankfast

Bikes: Kestrel Talon SL, Surly Steamroller, Equipe SS/FG Beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flip-Flopped

After my ride yesterday on my single speed, I noticed that my rear brake was dragging on the rim. The culprit was a rusted cable housing so the cable was getting stuck. Since the LBS wasn't opened yet I decided that the only way to take a morning ride was to remove the cable from the rear wheel and flip flop the wheel to the fixed gear side. I've ridden the bike for almost two years and have always been intimidated by riding fixed gear.
My first attempt on the street was uncomfortable so I walked the bike to the local MUP for some practice. After a while I seemed to get the hang of it and headed out for my daily ride. They say that fixed gear is not safe. Well nothing that demands skill is safe and fixed gear demands more skill than coasting. I relied exclusively on the front brake to slow myself. My knees aren't strong enough to slam the rear wheel. I don't know how people can ride these things without brakes. I took it easy and returned home without incident.
There are many things yet to learn. Not sure if I can ride fixed using clipless pedals. I don't quite understand how to unclip while the pedals rotating and taking your foot off the pedals is an experience in itself. But I'm determined to learn. I've decided the pleasure of riding fixed gear is not to be exclusive to the young but also to the young at heart.