Old 07-29-13, 11:00 AM
40 Cent
fixed for the long haul

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Professional, 1990 Cannondale 3.0 Touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure we've all been on the receiving end of blanket judgments about arrogant cyclists. However, I do feel like our numbers in NYC are finally getting the tipping point where we're not viewed as a monolith anymore. Especially with CitiBikes, the average New Yorker isn't lumping everyone on two wheels together as crazy hipsters.

I for one have started to reject cyclists judging other cyclists, wanting us all to be stewards of safe cycling. I try to be courteous and safe as much as possible but I don't think it serves us well to point the finger at ourselves more than we do cars.

All 3 transportation modes -- driving, cycling, walking -- try to ignore the laws when they think it will a) save them some time, and b) won't really hurt anybody. For cars, it's the speed limit, for cyclists, it's red lights, and for pedestrians, it's jaywalking. And just from observation, I'd say the scofflaws make up the majority of each group.

That said, I think the bike lanes and infrastructure are here to stay. All the mayoral candidates are trying to woo the cyclists. Maybe they won't put the support behind it Bloomberg did, but there's a growing contingent of people who are finding out it's just a good way to get around town. If the police want to start enforcing traffic laws, that's up to them, but I'm not going to do their job, anymore than I would scold a jaywalker.