Old 07-29-13, 02:14 PM
curly666

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Robaix, Specialized Carmel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzatronic
Sorry but you are wrong. See page 78 of the Washington State Driver Guide.

"Bicycle lanes are marked with solid white lines. You must yield to bicycles in a bicycle lane. Do not drive in a bicycle lane except when making a turn, entering or leaving an alley, private road or driveway, or when you need to cross the bicycle lane to park near the curb. Do not park in a bicycle lane."

Simply signaling your intention to turn does not negate the requirement for the driver to yield to bicycles in the bicycle lane. Just being "ahead of me" does not change the fact that if they cannot make the turn in a legal and safe manner while still yielding to traffic, they must wait until the way is clear.

It was my fault for not anticipating what this driver was going to do, but I am in the right regarding who has the right of way and who is required to yield in this case. That of course will not heal a broken bone or worse if the worst case scenario plays out, but I would not have been the one to be deemed at fault based on Washington State law. It may be different where you live.
It's all about defensive riding and common sense, someone in front of you has their signal light on use you head and let them turn, someday you're going to be "dead right".