Old 07-29-13, 10:14 PM
byrd48

Bikes: Dave Kirk Custom, Clockwork Bikes Custom, Batavus Course Specialized HardRock x2 Trek 700 MultiTrack 1991 Trek 950 SingleTrack. Miyata Three Ten

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think this one is on you. Bike lane or not, you have the most to lose from this transaction, you should have hit the brakes hard to stay behind him. One consideration: bike lanes are a new thing. I took drivers ed in the 80's when there were no bike lanes. I still get confused on what these sharrow things mean. I kinda agree with the sentiment, that just share the road unless you are going to wall off the bike lane from motor traffic, like they are doing in some places. In driving, technically you should not pass anyone on the right, the right lane is supposed to be reserved for slow traffic. I do this all the time in my car, as do most motorists here in the states because we have the Sunday tourists who like to cruise the left lane. However I was once visiting friends in Germany who let me drive their car and when I passed someone on the right, they almost had a cardiac. I will pass cars on the right, but only when they are queued up at a stoplight, and even then it's a risky affair. You should be thankful that motorist saw you and stopped. When I ride, I consider any accident as my fault unless someone plows me from behind, which brings up another point. It seems to be the rule, that if you hit someone from behind, it's automatically your fault. In this case, you would have side swiped them, but still, you probably would have been cited for following too close.