Old 07-30-13, 03:13 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Schwinn Comes Through For Me Again! (Sorry, it's another one of my long posts)

This is probably going to start a riot here, but I've got to tell you the latest chapter in my search for the ideal pannier/trunk for commuting and touring.

I've spent almost a year poking members of this and other forums for recommendations and, a couple of weeks ago, I finally decided to splurge and get a set of Ortliebs for about $239. Then I saw them in the store and decided they weren't suitable for me at all, so I picked up a set of $179 Cannondales instead. It turned out they didn't provide enough heel clearance, so I brought them back and bought a set of Jannd Mountain Panniers for $150. After using these on a weekend tour, I decided I didn't like them, either, so I returned them and got a full refund.

Torn and confused, I've been researching and testing all sorts of camera and fishing tackle bags, hoping they'd come closer to what I want, which is something full of pockets for commuting, but still large enough to throw in some overnight stuff when I take a recreational ride. The only things that came close were bags that cost as much as panniers, but didn't have any straps or clips for attaching to a bike. Plus, they all cost about $100 or more.

Sunday, I went to check out some additional camera bags someone had suggested at Walmart and I soon ended up in the bicycle aisle. In the past, after searching high and low for items like pumps, tubes, etc. I have found very inexpensive products put out by Schwinn that ended up serving me unbelievably well. I thought to myself "There's NO chance they're gonna have any kind of pannier he....HOLY CRAP! WHAT'S THIS**********?" All of a sudden, Schwinn's got a trunk bag on the shelf that has expanding flaps that can be unzipped to provide room for shoes, shirts, and all kinds of stuff. It clearly isn't made as well as the bags I've been checking out in bike shops, sporting goods stores, camera shops, and camping stores, but it's TWENTY FIVE DOLLARS!!!!! No brainer...I took it off the shelf, brought it home, mounted it on my rack, and I think it's going to be just fine.

Enough spending precious summer cycling time researching all these expensive hit-or-miss bicycle accessories. This is, at least, the third or fourth time I've picked up something for $25 or less that has been good enough to get me through years of bicycling without any problems. And each time, it's been a product put out by Schwinn. I know they aren't what they used to be, but damn...this company (and the Walmarts and Targets that sell their stuff) have delivered some of the best bicycle buys of my lifetime!