Old 07-30-13, 04:22 PM
AngeloDolce

Bikes: Many English 3 Speeds

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Buzzatronic,

Are you legally required to stay in the bike lanes? My impression is that you are more interested in avoiding future collisions than assigning legal fault (my priority also).

* I haven't bicycled in Seattle, but based on my experience on the East Coast I think you are naive about how clear cut the law is written and enforced. On the east coast many LEO and judges and especially juries can't believe that the law means motorists must sometimes yield to bicyclists, and many automatically consider the bicyclist is at fault. While this is often overturned on appeal it is time consuming and expensive. If Washington is different, consider yourself fortunate.

* If you want to ride defensively to avoid these collisions (highly recommended) I agree with your plan to leave the bike lane sooner. Regardless of the law, it is very difficult for the driver to look for oncoming and cross traffic, and bicyclists passing from behind on the right. As a result, you will almost always be safer riding through intersections (including shopping mall entrances/commercial driveways) in the middle of the lane - you can signal to let following motorists know you are aware of them but don't consider it safe to ride too far right (bike lane) where you are not visible.

In most states this is legal; even if it is not (e.g. Oregon?) you're usually so much less likely to be right hooked that it's worth doing.

AD