View Single Post
Old 07-30-13, 06:24 PM
ICBiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
On the commuter forum people typically claim that knobby tires vs. slicks make about a 2 mph difference. That's only taking rolling resistance into account, I think. Once you start riding with roadies and get up to faster speeds, the wider tires and knobs also start having an aerodynamic effect. You also wouldn't want to try to corner on pavement with a knobby tire at the speeds that roadies will corner on a slick tire.

If you are only going to have one set of wheels and tires for everything, you are going to have to compromise somewhere. For pavement, I'd recommend something like a 700x28 Conti GP 4 Seasons, but that might act a bit like a pinball on gravel. A file tread, as fietsbob suggests, will give you a nice compromise, but it will still be slower than a slick tire on pavement.
Andy_K you nailed it. I purchased the Conti GP 4 Seasons for my cross and they are superb on a well packed crushed rock trail and pretty fast and very smooth on the road. I have a Stan's NoTubes The Raven Cyclocross tire to throw on the front for gravel. Thank you for the great recommendation!