View Single Post
Old 07-31-13, 06:23 AM
Boudicca
Conquer Cancer rider

Bikes: Fun bike, city bike, Bike Friday, Brompton (also fun bikes)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jloco
Beautiful weather this morning: no wind, sunny, not a cloud in the sky, 80 degrees.

Left my house and there was an unusually small amount of cars on the road. Trucked up my morning climb with ease, might be a PR. Came to the base gate and it was backed up at least a half mile. I work on a military base and they were doing full ID checks with random inspections. I weaved through the parking lot of cars and as I approached the gate, the female guard looked at me with a beautiful smile. As I approached her, our conversation went like this...

"You are cheating" she said with a smile.
I replied, "One of the perks" and smiled back.
I handed her my ID and while her computer was checking me out, she said "A lot of people are pretty angry this morning, but you are the first smiling face I have seen."
I replied, "Beautiful day, great ride, its hard not to smile."
My ID cleared and she handed back my ID then said, "Have a great day."
I replied, "I will, keep up the good work."

As I left for the building that I worked in, I couldn't help but appreciate how lucky I am to be able to ride to work and that the preparation is worth it. I think that the best advocacy for commuting is just getting out there and enjoy it. People will notice and be curious why we have that smile on our face. Besides, isn't riding to work such a hassle and you surely must be hardcore to want to do that!!!
This reminds me of one day this week when I went down to the parking garage to get my bike, and the cars were backed up down to I know not what level. There is construction going on in that area, and there was also a protest a few blocks away that had closed streets there. Riding up the (steep) ramp clearly wasn't going to work in those circumstances, so I took the elevator up to ground level and rode home.

Next day a couple of people complained that it took them 30 minutes, just to get out of the parking garage.