Old 07-31-13, 07:02 AM
Italuminium
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Can't agree with your idea that French bikes are less sought after, not in demand and not in pricing. For me personally I don't covet Italian bikes over French, although wrenching on the former is a bit less frustrating.

And yes, I do wonder as well where the Germans have been last century. There have been some high quality artisan builders (our German members can tell you more about that), but almost no large scale road bike manufacturers. I always wonder why there has been no German Campagnolo/Shimano-like component manufacturer... A lack of industrial capacity is probably not the explanation: in almost all other mechanical fields the stuff to have is made in Germany (tools, cars, cutlery, appliances, you name it). Altenburger is the only name that comes up for road components, and Sachs was part of Sachs Huret, off course.

There are a lot of things you wouldn't know to be German on C&V bikes, though. The steel used by Dedacciai, Columbus, Oria and many others reportedly came (maybe still comes) from the German Mannesmann mills, and they're big on bearings and chains.

In tires, German companies (Schwalbe, Continental) are really big though.
However, in 2013, the Teutons bring out the big guns in the ultra high end market: Lightweight, Spin frames, AX lightness, Schmolke, all produce carbon stuff lighter than a unicorn's fart, tested to extreme standards and so expensive you can buy a decent house for a fully equiped German steed. If you want a German bike, you'd best get a 3 kg modern art masterpiece

Last edited by Italuminium; 07-31-13 at 07:09 AM.