Old 08-02-13, 06:38 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by kimconyc
It's complicated because the OP says that he is on a budget but now has to do two things:
1) Buy a Shimano freehub body for the Campagnolo Record hubs, which will cost money.
2) Physically swap out the freehub body or have somebody do it for him. Again, if you read my post, I clearly state that this option is for people who:
a) Enjoy tinkering, or...
b) Have the money do so (it's implied in the OP's original post that he is on a limited budget).

I just checked an online retailer based in the UK starting with the word "Rib" and a pair of Fulcrum Racing 3's cost $460.52 before shipping and a pair of Shimano Ultegra 6700 Clinchers cost $287.77.

I would argue, and refute me if I am mistaken, that both wheelsets are nearly impossible to beat based on a combination of price, warranty, and quality of construction.

Look at it this way, if one were to buy a Campagnolo Record hubset that comes with a warranty and also a Shimano freehub body for said hubs, it would surely cost more than both of those wheelsets I listed above--and we haven't even started talking about spokes, rims, labor (again, implied that the OP is not going to lace his own hoops) for building the wheelset, etc.

Personally, I think even a "broke college student" can do work-study or scrounge up enough cash ($300) for the Ultegra wheelset, ride them, an resell them without much monetary loss a year or two later, as opposed to the option of getting a custom-handbuilt set for > $600, swapping out the freehub body, etc.
I think where you are wrong is...as bulletproof as the Fulcrum 3 wheelsets are...I am a Fulcrum rider who weighs 185#, they will NOT hold up under the OP's 240# big watt output period. That is the crux of discussion here. The OP has special needs. He is an outliar. A big strong boy with lots of power who bends wheels easily out of the saddle. Fulcrum 3's will likely survive a 200 lb Cat 1 or 2, but the OP is in another league.
The Record hub thing is a no brainer if the OP wants the flexibility in particular to run ANY groupset in the future. Its his call of course but I believe he needs minimum 32 spokes in the back wheel in particular.