Old 08-02-13, 10:43 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony N.
IAMAMRA, I ask this question and got some very thought provoking answers. One to consider is are there any local laws? Some states have a one year old restriction. Another consideration is the posibility of shaken baby syndrome. May not show up for years. I know there are some here that have done it from infancy with no problems but if not nec. why take the risk. Many foriegn country's like Dutch and Netherlands, this practice is probably common but with less danger from motorist. To me, it is no more than using a jogging stroller and jogging. Good luck with your decision.
Shaken Baby Syndrome is mostly caused by physical abuse. I don't think the vibrations on a bike would be comparable to the forces of shaking a baby.

Personally, I doubt if a bicycle causes more vibrations to a baby than a stroller on the sidewalk, or even carrying the baby in arms, with every footfall being a sudden deceleration. I'm not convinced that a bicycle is worse for a baby than even an automobile. I don't have any figures to back this up, but neither does anybody else (that I can find). It's something to wonder about.

Originally Posted by Tony N.
Oh and another thing that I had not thought of is public trans. Cabs don't have baby seats and not sure what is legal on trains and buses. Years ago when my kids were litlle, we used a nice trailer and didn't even think about it but times and info has come a long way.
on city buses, infants children need to be out of the stroller and held by parents. I see that a lot of parents carry their baby everywhere in a car seat, including when walking or on the bus. I have no idea how much protection an unsecured car seat provides. Here's a link talking about taxis:
http://www.taxifarefinder.com/newsro...oung-children/

"Think Outside the Cage"