View Single Post
Old 08-03-13, 12:04 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Medic Zero We do. Redmond is a good 10 miles away, and not in Seattle at all! Seriously, if I go to Puyallup, Everett, Edmonds, or anywhere outside Seattle proper, it does seem to be raining a lot more, and actually really raining, not a light drizzle for part of the day which is what I usually seem to get. For me, the winter and spring were incredibly dry this year too. It's been glorious weather in Seattle for months, but this is an extremely rare year.

Originally Posted by nhluhr
Following last summer's dry end in September, the monthly total precip was well above historical normals throughout October, November, and December. Although Jan, Feb, and March were below average precip, April was brutally wet at more than twice the average precip. May and June were both above average precip as well.

In total, it was a wetter rainy season than average and although there were dryer months it still rained more days than it didn't during them and in no way can you say "incredibly dry". Further, those days in January and February when it didn't rain were plagued by heavy frost on roads and trails throughout the region.

It has been a terrific July.
Well, if we are going to quibble, I'll point out that in my post where you quoted it and highlighted it, I said "winter and spring", i.e. October, November, and Decembers above historical averages are outside the time period I got quoted. If you want to include the full rainy season, fine, but that doesn't make what I said wrong.

I wish the frost had been heavier in my region, as I saw no need to mount my Hakkapelittas and try them out, and I was itching to do so.

In my experience the Puget Sound is filled with micro-climates. I have a friend who lives in a little valley near Rainier Beach and her weather can be significantly different than the surrounding area for example. I understand that many people relate to being in Seattle, when they are actually not in the downtown metro area proper, but frankly if you don't happen to live right where I do and commute to where I do at the times I do, we are likely to have very different experiences. It probably helps that my 12 hour shifts often have one of my commutes happening near sunset when the weather often calms.