Old 08-03-13, 03:57 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 wheeler
....I'm a zealous mirror user and for a good reason; using a mirror has kept me from getting killed twice. On two occasions, trucks, coming from behind, have gone far out of their way to hit me, but they couldn't because I saw them coming and took evasive action.

On one occasion, a dump truck was coming from behind and I saw, in my mirror, that he was on a collision course with me and closing fast. I was on a straight two lane road that had no paved shoulder, but had a 5' gravel area that I could escape to. I went about 3' off into the gravel and the truck passed me with his right side tires across the white line. There were no other cars within sight. It was about 2:00pm and there was unlimited visibility. There was no reason for this truck to head off the road at the very same time that he was passing me.

Years later there was a similar situation. About 2:00pm, straight two lane road, but this road had a 3' paved shoulder, where I was riding. I heard a semi truck coming from behind, looked in my mirror and saw that he was way too close for comfort. I kept looking and knew that this guy was going to hit me if I didn't do something fast. I went off of the shoulder and about 3' into the grass and the semi passed me with his right side wheels IN THE GRASS. There was no other traffic and no reason for him to move off the side of the road at the very same time that he was passing me.

Wouldn't you use a mirror, too, if you had experiences like this? ...
Actually I don't think I would like the idea of trying to predict whether or not an over-taking vehicle is going to run me over. On the other hand if a very large vehicle is trying to pass me with very limited room I would like to know about it well before he actually starts to pass. If I feel at that time that there is not enough room to pass safely than yes I might bail off the road if possible. I've had 18 wheelers pass me on roads with very little shoulder. It is not a comfortable feeling when the trailer is no more than two feet from your handlebars. When possible I try to avoid roads that have said scenario. Small roads with big trucks don't mix. If I have no choice but to use a road like that I really want my best day time lights going.

Last edited by 01 CAt Man Do; 08-03-13 at 04:01 AM.