View Single Post
Old 08-04-13, 01:21 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeOnly
Let me add that fatigue after rides is an issue for me. Since retiring I have been in the gym lifting weights many more days than out riding the bike (want to flip that). I tend to take everything to the extreme and had to use a trainer to help me reduce sets/reps/weight to moderate the fatigue.

I figure I can climb any hill in whatever reasonable gear I choose, but I am trying to do it differently in order to reduce fatigue after the ride.

On a side note, what is the standard way of stating bicycle gear ratios? For example, I stated 28:28 as 1.00 and 34:28 as 1.21. What is the standard way of expression?

Great replies so far! Thanks!
Climbing is a complex subject. Most of the road bikes at retail are designed to look like the TDF stuff and the drivetrain is best used by younger, fit riders. Unless you have an expert level strength to weight ratio, you may want to customize the drivetrain on your new bike.

I think your 1:1 ratio is a good target. I have 26/27 (smallest chainring/biggest cog) and 26/30 on my modern road bikes and a 22/32 on my touring bike. My Vintage bikes have a 30/28 and 28/24.

One of the key advantages to a deep gearing range is that it allows to cyclist to stay seated and spin at a moderate cadence on very steep hills. This technique provides steady progress and works well for older and heavier riders like me and also works just as well for riders like Chris Froome and other TDF champions. It's certainly easier to maintain control of a cyclist heart rate while spinning at a moderately cadence and at a slower pace.

I can stand and mash on the pedals in a higher gear and at a faster speed on shorter hills, but longer hills require some strategy and moderation. For that reason alone, I have a 1.16 to 0.6875 chainring to cog ratio as my lowest gear on most of my bikes.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-04-13 at 08:35 PM.