View Single Post
Old 08-07-13, 09:51 AM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kmv2
Don't ask a silly question if you don't expect a silly answer.
In fact it wasn't a silly question. Shame you seem unable to get over your apparent chip on your shoulder.

Taxis can get expensive quick, yes.. but so can owning a car. One or two ~40km round trip taxi rides here equates to about a month of just the cost of a month's auto insurance. Also, multiple alternate solutions noted.
In my town (one of the largest urban areas in the US), I would drop over $40 for a cab ride to/from my doctor, which is a trip of about ten miles. No transit is available for that trip, and if I chose a doctor on a transit line, it would require changing bus routes at least once and make the travel time approach two hours each way. Transit in this country is geared to get people to/from work places and doctors seem to locate in non-transit areas in much of the country (with a couple of exceptions).

So with the relative frequency that children require doctors visits, or simply visiting relatives and friends. Taxi's don't seem to be a viable option.

Correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption but I don't picture the average "car free" parents living in a rural nowhere, 50 miles from the nearest town. I'd like to hear from them also.
It annoys me when they are portrayed as hapless rubes for not owning a car. Your questions imply that.
Yes you are wrong in most of the assumptions you appear to have made.