View Single Post
Old 08-07-13, 03:24 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
Thanks. But I thought one of the reasons for using lugs is to make custom frames - cut tubes and insert into lugs. With a mass produced frame (the c59 is not custom so it's more akin to mass produced regardless of numbers made) is it more a question of aesthetics? Might help with the handmade aspect but aren't all frames technically handmade or do machines now lay up the carbon?

Still, if I could afford one I'd get a c59 too.
From Wiki:

Mass production is the production of large amounts of standardized products, including and especially on assembly lines. With job production and batch production it is one of the three main production methods.
The concepts of mass production are applied to various kinds of products, from fluids and particulates handled in bulk (such as food, fuel, chemicals, and mined minerals) to discrete solid parts (such as fasteners) to assemblies of such parts (such as household appliances and automobiles).
Mass production is a diverse field, but it can generally be contrasted with craft production or distributed manufacturing. It has occurred for centuries; there are examples of production methods that can best be defined as mass production that predate the Industrial Revolution. However, it has been widespread in human experience, and central to economics, only since the late 19th century.

I don't think that the C59 fits the definition of mass production.