Thread: Dogs
View Single Post
Old 08-07-13, 07:38 PM
turbo1889
Transportation Cyclist

Bikes: Too many to list, some I built myself including the frame. I "do" ~ Human-Only-Pedal-Powered-Cycles, Human-Electric-Hybrid-Cycles, Human-IC-Hybrid-Cycles, and one Human-IC-Electric-3way-Hybrid-Cycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
Cars kill people too. Maybe I should start shooting at them when I feel threatened.
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I often think about doing this.

There is a substantial legal difference between shooting a dog that is attacking you and shooting a human that is attacking you (regadless of whether that human is inside a car or not). Dogs aren't people and the law recognizes this, you can be legally justified in shooting a dog that bites you, if on the other hand a human bites you can't shoot them just for biting you. If a person in a car does actually try to intentionally and deliberately murder you using the car as their weapon of choice and you successfully defend yourself against them using a gun then that could be justifiable self defense - it actually happens some times when people try to run over cops with their cars and get shot by the cops when trying to do so. For civilians such cases are very rare, however, most civilians don't have the gun handling skills to successfully defend themselves against someone trying to deliberately run them over with a car. Magnify this by a 1,000 times if it is a sneak attack which is often the case when people use their cars as weapons to attack cyclists. With a dog on the other hand, who is aggressively attacking you and chewing on you or your bike trying to get through the bike to you when you are using the bike as a shield between you and the dog that's a point blank range target which doesn't have immediate lethal capability if you protect your neck and you do have some time to use a weapon (any weapon - mace, stick, bike pump, etc . . . ) to stop the attack. Getting run down by a car can be lethal or at the very least render you unable to fight back within micro-seconds, it would take one hell of a dog to do that.

Add On for Post made while I was writing this one:

Yes, a projectile weapon capable of actually stopping an attacking car and not just taking out the driver and hoping that stops the car would be rather difficult to easily carry on a bike ~ RPG would probably be a decent choice but you would have to be riding your bike in on of the few hell holes on this planet where you can get away with riding around on a bike with an RPG without at the very least getting yourself in really big trouble for riding around on a bike with an RPG.

Last edited by turbo1889; 08-07-13 at 07:43 PM.