Old 08-08-13, 11:30 AM
Excelsius

Bikes: CAAD10 Rival

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Luckily, I've never had anything like this happen to me. Some drivers have honked and passed me, but that's about it. After reading many stories like the one here, I almost always treat the cars as hostile entities and make sure that I'm very careful to give them enough space to pass. In the event that someone is pissed, it doesn't affect me because I know I did everything right. On the other hand, there are cyclists that don't share the road well and ride in the middle of a single lane road unnecessarily. For example, on mountain rides where there are a lot of blind spots due to bends, I always hug the side of the road just to be safe because some drivers go to the mountains to race. I've seen a lot of cyclists even in some of my group rides take the entire road resulting in road rage a few times. There are also cyclists who run red lights and stop signs unsafely. Some of these people are responsible for giving the rest of us bad rap. If I see a car already stopped at a stop sign, I always stop to let it pass because I never trust the drivers to let me pass, even if that means breaking my downhill speed. Now if a car is just approaching the stop sign, then I won't necessarily stop. Last year something funny happened - one of our group members was lagging behind and apparently got a ticket when he failed to stop at a stop sign. I regret not asking him exactly how the violation was described in the ticket while I had the chance.